- Measure the time of emitted light and reflected response.
- Time delay (pulse) and phase based.
- Utilize time as «baseline».
- Potentially compact with no occlusion.
- Large measurement range (several hundred meters).
- Very fast (real-time video rates).
- Sensitive to reflections.
- Limited absolute accuracy.
- Complex manufacturing.
- Typically sub-HD resolutions.
Read the whole article about active and passive 3D vision principles here, including stereo, active stereo, laser, ToF, and structured light machine vision.